Our children’s ward at Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH) provides medical and surgical care for children and young people up to the age of 16. We also run a number of outpatient clinics for children and young people including:
- blood tests (phlebotomy) for children aged 12 and under (appointment-only, bookable by your GP).
To ensure our patients get the specialist care they need, we work with a number of other providers as part of a south London network. These include the Variety Children’s Hospital at King’s College Hospital and the Evelina Children’s Hospital at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.
Health play specialist
A registered and qualified health play specialist works on the children’s ward to provide a therapeutic and holistic service through play and procedural support, as well as supporting family members. They check in with children and families daily, tailor-making programmes and therapy input based on the individual child’s needs, age and stage of development.
The health play specialist works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a holistic service to provide positive experiences to reduce anxieties and build resilience.
The play service organises and manages visitors to the children’s ward, including entertainers, magicians and Pets as Therapy dogs for patients and their families to enjoy.
If you would like to refer a patient or donate new resources to the ward, please contact the children’s ward and ask for the health play specialist. Unfortunately, due to infection control and health and safety, we cannot accept second hand and fabric toys.
- Children’s ward, tel: 01689 864402
- Children’s outpatients, tel: 01689 864065
- Neonatal Unit, tel: 01689 864956
For GPs and referrers
- GPs should use NHS e-Referral only to book into all clinics, including blood tests.
- Other health professionals can refer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Send one referral per email and include patient and GP practice details.